Students are often assigned to write expository essays. But what is an expository essay? This type of essay explains or describes something using facts and details. The most popular types of topics for these essays are in science, history, literature, art, and music.
Here are the top 150 best expository essay topics:
The following list consists of the top interesting topics for an expository essay for middle school students.
- What are the reasons that people get addicted to drugs or alcohol? How does it affect them and their families?
- Why do we need to care about other people’s sufferings, even if they are not our family members or friends?
- How to be a good citizen. (Play your part in supporting the government)
- Should we read only the books that are considered to be “classic literature”?
- What are the pros and cons of globalization?
- Should we do anything to preserve our environment from pollution? Do you think it matters?
- How do violence and aggression impact people? (How it is shown through TV or how kids learn from their parents)
- The rights of the minorities in a country. (What do governments, UN, etc. do to support them?)
- What is your opinion on illegal immigration? Should there be a law against it?
- What are the causes of prejudice in our society/schools?
- What are your thoughts on how the internet has changed human communication style (social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.)?
- Should we study foreign languages even if they are not very useful in your country?
- How to achieve success in life (what are the important factors)
- List and describe the top 5 places where you have traveled as a tourist. Why do you like or dislike those places?
- What should be done to stop violence?
- How to deal with evil (is it necessary to use violence?)
- Research and describe the most recent scientific discovery.
- Explain why we need to have a good physical condition. What can happen if you don’t have it?
- What is important in life and why (family, friends or career, etc.)
- Write about your favorite place you have visited.
- What is the most recent news that caught your attention in newspapers? Write about it.
- List and describe 5 species of animals that are endangered and their chances of survival.
- Write about one of your role models. Why is he/she famous?
- Write about how technology has positively changed human lives and also negative impacts.
- What do you think should be done to stop racism in our society (schools, government, etc.)?
- What are the top 10 things that make us happy in life?
- What is the best way to deal with homeless people (should we do anything?)
- In what ways have you tried to achieve your dreams?
- Explain what family is and how it works. Give some good examples of different types of families.
- What makes a person successful? What makes you happy in school? Why?
- Write about something you have learned recently.
- Have you ever experienced bullying? How did you feel, and what have you done in this situation?
- What is your opinion on the way schools are teaching students (the amount of homework or giving more tests)? Describe how to improve it.
The following list consists of the top interesting topics for an expository essay for high school students.
- The life of famous scientists (Albert Einstein, Michael Faraday, Marie Curie, etc.)
- The origin of elements
- How medical research may affect people’s lives in the future.
- Describe your favorite place on earth and why it is important for you.
- Your first car and its design or technology used in it.
- Explain how social media has changed human communication style (social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- The problems of population growth in the world.
- How the people of ancient civilizations were very different from us (their lifestyle, culture, etc.)
- Why do you need to respect other’s opinions and beliefs?
- Describe your local community (how it is organized/developing)
- The evolution of furniture design over time.
- The history and changes in fashion style or fashion trends
- What are the challenges that face you, and how do you deal with them?
- Your favorite zoo animal and why it is your favorite.
- The history of art and artists (the famous masters etc.)
- Describe a natural disaster (famine, earthquake, tsunami, etc.)
- What is the importance of protecting our environment?
- Should the U.S government help to fund education around the world?
- Good and bad sides of globalization (how it is affecting people, culture, etc.)
- What talent do you have that could be useful for your community?
- Why should we care about the issues facing today’s generation?
College students often have to write expository essay papers on topics they are not familiar with or interested in.
This list consists of the top interesting topics for college students.
- How can we improve our global economic situation (what is happening with the countries’ debt etc.)?
- Write about a problem in today’s society that bothers you. What can be done to solve it?
- The future of civilization/earth and how we can make it better for future generations.
- Describe your family (how they have impacted you, what is important to them etc.)
- How to find a job after graduation from college
- Technology and society (define technology/analyze its positive and negative effects)
- The most important changes of the past decade and why they are important.
- Why politics is inevitable in our society (positive/negative side of it)
- The future of America (its leadership role, its economy, etc.) Explain how America can be a leading nation again.
- What makes you proud to be an American?
- Can corruption be eliminated from our government?
- To what extent do laws protect our rights as citizens?
- How is religion affecting the politics of the country (we should separate them or not)? If it should be separated, how will we separate them without creating more tensions and conflicts in society?
- What are your aspirations in life?
- The consequences of increasing taxes.
- How to make the internet a safer place (prevent identity theft, bullying, etc.)
- What do you believe are the most important qualities for success in college or a career?
- What can be done to make better decisions and solve conflicts?
- How we can spend a lot of time in our lives on things we hate (what can be done to avoid it)
You may also check speech attention getters
There is a lot to say about the challenges that are associated with society. Here are some fantastic examples of topics for expository writing.
- How to help the homeless (what can be done to solve this problem) What homeless people need (shelter, food, jobs, etc.)
- Women at work (should they receive equal pay or not) are faced with how they are treated differently in different societies. What concerns are there about their safety?
- The issues of young people (from the age of 13 to 20, explain how they are different and why)
- How our older population should be treated by society? Who takes care of them? What are their needs?
- Explain the situation with children who don’t have parents (explain why this is happening)
- What social issues do you see in your town that you care about?
- How is social media changing the relationships between people? What are its benefits?
- How to cope with stress. How we can avoid it?
- Why students should have to learn about politics (the importance of voting, why it’s so important).
- Top 100 interesting topics for college student’s expository essay papers: Social Problems Topics
- Why democracy is the best political system.
- How to protect the environment (what needs to be done)
- How to resolve conflicts peacefully without violence. What are the problems with wars?
- Why is religion a good or bad thing for society? Learn how it can help us and why some people use it as an excuse for violence/killing others.
- Create an essay that motivates people to get good grades in school.
- Explain how our system of government works. Explain it like an alien would understand (it should be simple and clear).
- What are the best qualities of a leader? What makes someone a leader? Why following blindly is not that great.
Suppose I want to write an essay that can be considered a great introduction for someone looking for an interesting idea in health. If you don’t have a topic in mind, here are some essay ideas.
- What makes health important? What are the consequences of poor health (financial, social, etc.)? What can be done to improve your overall health?
- How to eat healthily? What should we eat and what shouldn’t we eat? How our eating habits affect our system.
- Explain how exercising is good for us and why it needs to be a part of our daily routine.
- What are some diseases that can be easily avoided (what are their causes and how to avoid them)? What signs should you look for if you think someone has it?
- Why it’s good to have support from your friends when you need it the most? What is Depression? How to avoid it? What are the consequences of depression?
- What are the benefits of meditation, and why should people do it? How can you meditate effectively? How to keep your mind calm if you have a lot on your mind.
- Why do we need sleep? What are the consequences of not getting enough sleep? Why students should have a healthy sleeping schedule.
- Health Expository Essay Topics Explaining Health Problems
- Explain health problems like obesity, smoking, etc. (what their causes are) and how to avoid them. Why are they bad for our health? What are the consequences of these problems?
- How to deal with a disease (it can be your own or someone else you care about). How does it affect that person, and how to avoid that situation from happening again?
- How to keep healthy when you have a busy schedule. What things are essential for your well-being etc?
- What are the consequences of smoking (health effects)? Why do young people start doing it in the first place? Why don’t they quit? How bad is this problem around the world and why?
- Explain how diet affects your health. What should we eat and what shouldn’t we eat? What are the benefits of eating healthy food?
- Why should you live a healthy lifestyle? How does it affect your body, mind, etc.? Why don’t people do it? What can be done to help them do that?
You may also check rhetorical analysis essay topics!
Funny topics can get you a bonus from a teacher. Here, we list some best expository essay topics. We also explain them clearly. These are some examples.
- What is pop culture? Explain why some people like it and others don’t.
- Explain some favourite pop culture things, trends, etc.
- Explain what junk food is and why it’s bad for you.
- What are some of the dumbest ideas in history (that people actually spent time and money on)? Explain why they were considered “dumb.”
- What is an RPG video game? What makes it fun? What kind of things does a good RPG need to have? Why do these games get so much attention from gamers? What are some negatives of these games (and how can you avoid them)?
- How to create a good character for your story. How should it be created, and what things should writers take into consideration? Why do some characters stand out more than others?
- Why do people enjoy reading books? What do people get from it, and is it the same for everyone? How to make sure that your own story will be a success (how to capture your readers’ attention).
- Why are some colours considered more popular than others? How do these colours affect our mood? What are their origins etc.?
- What makes someone creative or innovative? What are the signs that someone is creative/innovative, and how can you be one (if you want to)?
- The history of pets, their origins, and what makes them so popular.
- What impact do pets have on people’s lives, and why is it so important for some people?
- What are some of the stereotypes about pets and people who have them?
- What makes a pet an excellent companion?
- How to care for your pet (dogs, cats, etc.).
You may also check entertaining speech ideas!
You might get bonus points by selecting the proper historic essay subject: history. If you don’t, then at least your essay will be well written.
- Explain how some famous historical events influenced the world economy in general (positively and negatively). What are the consequences of those events? Why did these things happen when they actually happened?
- Explaining social problems during a certain historical era. What kind of problems did people have, and why did they have them? How can these problems be resolved?
- Explaining how some historical events influenced cultural life in general (positively and negatively).
- How have various sciences developed during different historical eras? Why certain discoveries were made, and what were their consequences for us?
- How religion influenced different historical events. What role it played in them etc.
It would help if you started with choosing a topic that interests you because it’s very hard to write about something you don’t actually care about. Make sure to select an effective essay topic that will make you think and research it.
Another thing to consider while choosing your effective essay topic is to make sure that your essay topic has enough information available about it. Too narrow topics are hard to research because of the limited information available, while too broad topics make your essay lose focus.
In case you’re still in doubt, click the green button below, then follow the simple steps and leave the entire task to our top tutors!